Responsible for identifying current resources, identifying gaps in resources and providing recommendations to develop additional treatment programs and community supports.
Workgroup Goals & Accomplishments
Identify the current resources operating to address opioid abuse in St. Clair County.
- Encouraging participation and increasing membership to be more inclusive to address the opioid treatment issues, especially members of the new Recovery Court.
Identify the gaps in the current treatment and community resources for individuals with Opioid Use Disorder.
- We have begun to map a treatment ecosystem. Initially two gaps were identified: 1) availability and access to of all forms of MAT (especially methadone) from a local county provider and 2) the existence of a drug (recovery) court. Preliminary arrangements to provide MAT at the Center of Port Huron were halted due to the Center’s zoning issues. Discussions were conducted with the County Court system about bringing a Recovery Court to the county.
- The Treatment Subcommittee and the Opioid Executive Oversight Committee advocated on behalf of The Center of Port Huron when zoning designation issues developed. Current future for The Center is uncertain at this point in time.
- Discussions were conducted regarding establishing an interim sober living facility and a local detox center. No decision has yet been reached on the need for these facilities. Work in these areas is ongoing.
- The Treatment Subcommittee will soon be finalizing and prioritizing a list of gaps that we will present to the Executive Committee for review.
Identify strategies in which to address the identified gaps and provide recommendation to the Executive Oversight Committee
- Producing a resource document to share with the community.
- Active in supporting community initiatives for increased availability of services for individuals with Opioid Use Disorder. This committee supported Odyssey House in their efforts to open a much needed women’s recovery house in Port Huron. That house is now open and accepting residents.
Assess effectiveness of efforts in the community to combat the opioid crisis.
Co-Chair: Ken Heuvelman, Port Huron Odyssey House
Co-Chair: Deb Walbeq, Department of Health and Human Services
2021 Meeting Calendar
The Treatment and Recovery Subcommittee will meet on the fourth Wednesday of each month from 10:00am – 11:30am. Meetings are held virtually.
- January 27, 2021
- February 24, 2021
- March 24, 2021
- April 28, 2021
- May 26, 2021
- June 23, 2021
- July 28, 2021
- August 25, 2021
- September 22, 2021
- October 27, 2021
- November 24, 2021
- December 22, 2021