St. Clair County will have a coordinated system of community resources and supports to assist all our families in providing a great start for children from birth through age eight.
Every child in St. Clair County will have a great start in life. They will be safe, healthy, and eager to succeed in school and in life.
Early Childhood Outcomes (Outlined by the Governor)
- Children born healthy;
- Children healthy, thriving, and developmentally on track from birth to third grade
- Children developmentally ready to succeed in school at the time of school entry
- Children prepared to succeed in fourth grade and beyond by reading proficiently by the end of third grade
Workgroup Goals & Accomplishments
Early Childhood services/programs are reaching and engaging ALL families in need of support/early childhood programming and information.
- The number of referrals increased within the HUB. A total of 1040 referrals were made between 8/1/19 and 7/31/20 – about an 18% increase. The pregnant women referred through the hub increased from 306 to 384. This was about a 25% increase.2. Increase the number of families engaged and active in both the Great Start Parent Coalition and the Great Start Collaborative.
Increase the number of families engaged and active in both the Great Start Parent Coalition and the Great Start Collaborative.
- The GSPC Facebook group was a successful way to reach 193 members and have regular communication with them throughout the year. Of the members, over 87% are actively engaged. One new member joined the GSPC because of their interaction with the Facebook group. The regular posts kept everyone engaged – to date, 558 posts were made.
- The group created and posted four “Health Tip of the Day” videos to create conversations about health related topics. On average, 66 members viewed each video and 14 members were engaged or commented.
Increase access to high quality early care and education services and supports.
- Due to COVID, the second half of the year was different from planned. However, there was an increase in partnerships with childcare providers throughout St. Clair County. The new partnerships lead to increased communication between programs, discovering new challenges and writing grants to support the providers. Increasing quality was not necessarily the priority but keeping children and families safe was. This lead to a grant from the United Way to support providers in accessing cleaning supplies for sanitizing and disinfecting the classrooms.
- Because COVID forced us to switch the way we did meetings from face to face to virtual, we were able to have better participation from providers at both the childcare meetings and the school readiness advisory committee. Our new format has allowed members who do not have time to travel to a meeting participate in the meetings virtually.
Children in St. Clair County have access to early literacy services that are of high quality.
- This work was planned for spring of 2020 and was put on hold due to COVID-19.
Families will have access to programs, services, and resources needed to fully participate in their child’s early development and learning.
- This work was planned for spring and summer of 2020 and was put on hold due to COVID-19.
Chair: Julie Pemberton, Blue Water Community Action
Support Staff: Riley Alley, St. Clair County RESA
2021 Meeting Calendar
2020 – 2021 Great Start Collaborative Meeting Dates
All meetings are held from 8:30 – 10:30 am at RESA East Campus (1111 Delaware, 2nd Floor).
This is a Strategic Planning year – other meetings may be scheduled to work on the plan.
- August 5, 2021
- October 7, 2021
- December 2, 2021
- February 3, 2022
- April 7, 2022
- June 9, 2022
2020 – 2021 School Readiness Advisory Committee Meeting Dates
All meetings are held at RESA East Campus (1111 Delaware, 1st Floor) from 4:00 – 5:30 pm
- September 30, 2021
- November 4, 2021
- January 27, 2022
- March 3, 2022
- April 28, 2022
2020 – 2021 Child Care Directors Meeting Dates
All meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at RESA East (2nd floor) from 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- September 21, 2021
- October 19, 2021
- November 16, 2021
- December 21, 2021
- January 18, 2022
- February 15, 2022
- March 15, 2022
- April 19, 2022
- May 17, 2022
2019-2020 Great Start Parent Coalition Meeting Dates
All meetings are held the 2nd Thursday of each month at RESA East from 5:30-7p.m.
**Currently meeting virtually from 6:30-7:30p during pandemic
- June 10, 2021
- July – No meeting
- August 12, 2021
- September 9, 2021
- October 14, 2021
- November 11, 2021
- December 9, 2021