St. Clair County will have a coordinated system of community resources and supports to assist all our families in providing a great start for children from birth through age eight.
Every child in St. Clair County will have a great start in life. They will be safe, healthy, and eager to succeed in school and in life.
Early Childhood Outcomes (Outlined by the Governor)
- Children born healthy;
- Children healthy, thriving, and developmentally on track from birth to third grade
- Children developmentally ready to succeed in school at the time of school entry
- Children prepared to succeed in fourth grade and beyond by reading proficiently by the end of third grade
- Early childhood services / programs are reaching and engaging all families in need of support / early childhood programming and information.
- Increase the number of families receiving accurate and supportive information and resources.
- Increase access to high quality early care and education services and supports.
- Children in St. Clair County have access to early literacy services that are of high quality
- Families will have access to programs, services and resources needed to fully participate in their child’s early development and learning.
Identified Gap: Childcare Crisis, which is a priority of this committee! New partnerships are being develop to try and create new options to this gap.
- The number of referrals increased within the HUB. 998 Referrals were made between 10/1 and 9/30/21. Pregnant women made up 46% of the referrals.
- Partnership with McLaren Port Huron continues with social worker providing early childhood literacy bags that includes information about programs in St. Clair County to all new moms.
- The Community Baby Shower was held in 2020 and 2021 as a virtual event. New moms were given a variety of information and provided the opportunity to ask questions.
- The GSRP Facebook group reached 267 members and had regular communication with them throughout the year. Of the members, over 92% are actively engaging with daily posts. There were 411 posts made this year.
- The group created and posted four Talking is Teaching videos to give families real life examples of how to build their children’s literacy skills and create strong attachments.
- The GSC participated in a statewide preschool campaign pilot from March – August, that provided new marketing materials to inform parents about preschool options. A virtual preschool roundup was held to give parents information on options including for children with developmental disabilities.
- The Great Start Parent Coalition hosted a book drive in February, collecting over 4,000 books. These books were distributed to local childcare programs, preschool classrooms, elementary classrooms and Little Free Libraries. Over 3,000 books were distributed back out to classrooms and families.
- A Trusted Advisor has reached over 1,000 families at different events throughout the county.
- The Great Start Collaborative voted to approve becoming a “Help Me Grow” affiliate.
Chair: Julie Pemberton, Blue Water Community Action
Support Staff: Riley Alley, St. Clair County RESA
2022 Meeting Calendar
2021 – 2022 Great Start Collaborative Meeting Dates
All meetings are held from 8:30 – 10:30 am at RESA East Campus (1111 Delaware, 2nd Floor).
This is a Strategic Planning year – other meetings may be scheduled to work on the plan.
- August 18, 2022
- October 20, 2022
- December 15, 2022
- February 16, 2023
- April 20, 2023
- June 15, 2023
2021 – 2022 School Readiness Advisory Committee Meeting Dates
All meetings are held at RESA East Campus (1111 Delaware, 1st Floor) from 4:00 – 5:30 pm
- September 30, 2021
- November 4, 2021
- January 27, 2022
- March 3, 2022
- April 28, 2022
2021 – 2022 Child Care Directors Meeting Dates
All meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at RESA East (2nd floor) from 12:30 – 2:00 pm
- October 12, 2021
- November 9, 2021
- December 14, 2021
- January 11, 2022
- February 8, 2022
- March 8, 2022
- April 12, 2022
- May 10, 2022
2021-2022 Great Start Parent Coalition Meeting Dates
All meetings are held the 2nd Thursday of each month at RESA East from 5:30-7p.m.
**Currently meeting virtually from 6:30-7:30p during pandemic
- June 10, 2021
- July – No meeting
- August 12, 2021
- September 9, 2021
- October 14, 2021
- November 11, 2021
- December 9, 2021